Clerk’s Office staff can assist you with general administrative functions. For example, staff can answer administrative questions about your case, complete copy requests, perform records searches, and provide general information about the court. Employees are prohibited from providing information which may be characterized as legal advice, assisting with the preparation of bankruptcy forms, discussing the legal aspects of your case with you (known as ex parte communication), and functioning as a case participant’s advocate before the Court. Telephones are answered from 9:00 a.m. until 4:00 p.m., Monday through Friday local time, except on federal holidays and other days when the Intake Counter is closed as designated by the court from time to time.
Toll Free: (866) 639-4615
Local: (850) 521-5001
Chambers staff is prohibited from providing information that may be characterized as legal advice, assisting with preparation of bankruptcy forms, discussing the legal aspects of your case with you (known as ex parte communication), and functioning as a case participant’s advocate before the Court.
- Chief Bankruptcy Judge Karen K. Specie (Florida Northern District)
- Chief Bankruptcy Judge Henry A. Callaway (Alabama Southern District for Florida Northern Cases)
- Bankruptcy Judge Jerry C. Oldshue (Alabama Southern District for Florida Northern Cases)
Cases in the Northern District of Florida are randomly assigned to Case Administrators throughout the district shortly after filing. The name of the Case Administrator to whom a case is assigned is located at the top of the docket report in CM/ECF. For information on contacting a Case Administrator, please call toll free (866) 639-4615 or (850) 521-5001.
Select 1 for English, 2 for Spanish
Select Court Code (11 for FLNB)
(866) 582-6878 or
The after-hour emergency and court closure filing procedure allows you to preserve a file date. Documents submitted in accordance with this procedure will be deemed filed on the date and at the time printed by the facsimile (fax) machine IF the originals (including required fees) are delivered by noon local time to the Bankruptcy Clerk’s Office in Tallahassee or Pensacola. Please be sure to read this entire passage carefully before sending a fax.
This procedure is effective:
- before 9:00 a.m. and after 4:00 pm local time on business days; and
- 24 hours on days when the Clerk’s Office is closed in observance of federal holidays or, for attorneys, when the CM/ECF server is unavailable.
This procedure is not to be used:
- as a general convenience to any party; or
- by attorneys as a substitute for filing through CM/ECF.
This procedure will NOT allow you to receive a new case number outside of normal business hours. Instead, you may use the procedure to preserve a file date. You will receive your case number upon the filing of the original petition and required fees before noon local time on the next business day when the court is open.
- Send the first page and the signature page of each document you plan to file by fax to 850-521-5004.
- Faxes are only accepted before 9:00 a.m. and after 4:00 p.m. Faxes will not be accepted if they are received during business hours when the court is open and will be discarded without further notice.
- Deliver the original documents, together with any required fees, to the Clerk’s Office during business hours and before 12:00 pm local time on the very next business day that the court is open.
- Original documents may be delivered to the Tallahassee or Pensacola Bankruptcy Clerk’s Office.
- Notify the Intake Clerk that a copy of the document was transmitted by fax on the previous business day.
- It is incumbent upon the filing party to notify the Clerk’s Office that a copy of the document was previously transmitted by fax. It is not the responsibility of Clerk’s Office staff to make this association.
What happens if my original documents are not received in Tallahassee or Pensacola by noon local time?
If your original documents are not received by 12:00 pm local time on the next business day, the faxed materials will be discarded without notice. Original documents received after 12:00 pm on the next business day will be filed as of the date and time they were physically received by Clerk’s Office staff.
What This Service Will Not Do
- does not go into effect until 4:01 pm. Faxes will be accepted from that time until 9:00 a.m. the following business day.
- Faxes received during business hours (9:00 a.m. – 4:00 p.m. local time) will be discarded without notice. Exceptions: Federal holidays or other days when the Clerk’s Office is closed during regular business hours, or when the CM/ECF server is undergoing maintenance (see above). In those cases, faxes will be accepted throughout the day.
- does not allow case participants to file documents outside of normal business hours;
- does not allow case participants to receive a case number outside of normal business hours;
- does not allow case participants to ask legal questions of Clerk’s Office staff or receive legal advice by fax; and
- Most importantly, this service does not provide an opportunity to receive a case number in order to halt a foreclosure sale scheduled during the next business morning. A case number can only be provided when an original, signed petition (and fee, signed application to pay in installments, or signed application to waive the fee) is provided to the Bankruptcy Intake Clerk in Tallahassee or Pensacola for filing.
For assistance during operational hours, please call 866-639-4615 or 850-521-5001. Clerk’s Office employees are barred from providing legal advice and may not provide change for fee payments in cash. Information about filing requirements, filing fees and available forms may be reviewed on this website.
Bankruptcy filings are not accepted by the Gainesville or Panama City District Court Clerk's Offices.