The title of all Motions for Continuance must include:
- What you are requesting to be continued (e.g., Motion to Incur).
- The docket entry number of the motion/application being continued (NOT THE DOCKET NUMBER OF THE NOTICE OF HEARING).
The title of all Orders granting continuance must include:
- The title of the specific motion/application being continued (e.g., Mtn. to Incur).
- The docket entry number of the motion/application being continued. (NOT THE DOCKET NUMBERS FOR THE MOTION FOR CONTINUANCE OR THE HEARING NOTICE.)
Telephone appearances must be arranged by calling CourtCall, an independent conference call company, at (866) 582-6878 not later than 3:00 p.m. one day prior to the hearing date. Please read the information found in the document entitled Telephonic Appearance Procedures for Bankruptcy Judge Karen K. Specie before utilizing CourtCall.
Courtroom and Hearings
- Only one person talking at a time.
- Address only the Court – not each other.
- Court call – state name clearly; spell last name.
- Telephonic – it is up to you to initiate the call and to be sure all attorneys wishing to appear can be conferenced in – BE ON TIME! Telephonic hearings are still hearings.
- Speak from the podium – especially in Tallahassee.
Using Courtroom Technology
- To use the courtroom technology, such as the evidence or exhibit presentation system, contact the Clerk's Office at least three business days before the hearing in order to test your presentation and equipment in the courtroom with the IT Department.
- Be sure to bring the actual equipment for testing that will be used during the hearing.
Emergency Hearing Requests
- Use this option ONLY in event of an emergency. Emergency motions MUST be accompanied by a Statement of Need for Emergency Hearing (L.R. 9073-1(B)(3)) – do not say "the reason this is an emergency is as stated in our motion." Local Form #7 , Statement of Need for Emergency Hearing has been provided to assist you with this requirement.
Exhibit Labels in CM/ECF
- When uploading PDF files in addition to the main document, filers may use the “Category” options presented by CM/ECF but absolutely must use the “Description” field to fully describe the nature of each PDF exhibit.
Ex Parte Communications and Correspondence Addressed to Chambers
Judge Specie shall not engage in ex parte communication of any kind. Bankruptcy Rule 9003 states: "any party in interest, and any attorney, accountant, or employee of a party in interest shall refrain from ex parte meetings and communications with the court concerning matters affecting a particular case or proceeding." Failure to comply with this rule may result in sanctions.
Do not write letters to, e-mail, or call Judge Specie or her Law Clerks on any pending case or proceeding. Except in extremely unusual circumstances, each letter or e-mail addressed to Judge Specie or her Law Clerks, or sent to the court and identifying a particular case or proceeding, will be placed on the relevant docket and made part of the public record. Any such letter or e-mail may be set for hearing.
Click here for instructions on preparing and submitting proposed orders. All proposed orders must be submitted electronically through CM/ECF.